You are not an organism in an environment; you are an environorganism.
This is the third principle in Dr. Wayne Dyer’s book Manifest Your Destiny.
When you first read this, this may not be the easiest concept to grasp. He gives an example that illustrates it pretty well . . .
‘Describe yourself walking, just you walking. There cannot be walking without also describing whatever it is you are walking upon. Without the floor or the ground, there would only be your legs moving back and forth, and, of course, that is not walking. Your experience of walking also includes the air you are breathing while you are walking, the gravity that keeps you from floating off into space, the pebbles, or carpet, or sand, or cement that you walk on and the makeup of these elements in the pebbles and carpet, and on and on.’
It’s a pretty interesting to concept to examine in many areas of your life. Whenever we describe something, we never describe it independent of the environment. You always include some details about the environment.
I’ve never really absorbed this thinking because I feel that we are conditioned into believing that we have a separation from our environment. This leads us to take on a position of exercising control over it. We then make decisions that are destructive because we feel we are advancing civilization. I have decided that I am ready to explore this and open up to this concept.
‘The energy that comprises your humanity is in everything around you. You are it, it is you. You are not separate from it.’ Dyer goes on to share The Bhagavad Gita to summarize the point:
He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same in all that is ~
immortal in the field of mortality ~ he sees the truth.
And when a man sees that the God in himself is the same God in all that is,
he hurts not himself by hurting others. Then he goes,
indeed, to the highest path.
“in all that is” ~ You, Me, EVERYTHING that IS. You are not separate from it. I am not separate from it.
Suggestions for living the principle . . .
1) Imagine yourself as part of all that you see. Start making a conscious effort to connect yourself to all around you.
2) Contemplate your energy that is your life force. Becoming an observer of your energy and the energy of those around you is a way of putting you into contact with the spiritual essence of everyone and everything.
3) Trust in the wisdom of your feelings. Trust your intuition. If you feel it, it is your truth. The more you allow yourself to open up and feel this energy and intuition, the more often it will be apparent for you.
4) Practice being gentle, respectful and loving toward all things. Remember that your efforts do make a difference.
5) Find some quiet space to connect with your inner true self. This is a great way to connect on a spiritual level.
6) Make sure your surroundings are filled with life. Create an attitude of sacred space. You will automatically attract more into your life by being purposeful about your spaces.
7) Pay attention to your judgments of yourself and others. When you judge, you are separate. Your judgment of others is only a way to define yourself. What you see in others represents who you really are. Find the good in everyone.
I will add one of my own . . . be extra gentle and patient with yourself. You are committed to learning, growth and expansion. Take time to gently remind yourself that this is a process, a continual process of growth and exploration. Take time to open up to the journey that is ahead. There is a divine meaning for you and a way to start seeing and aligning with it is by recognizing that you and I and everything around us is one in the same.