“We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.” – Jeremy Irons
As many do, I spend time at the end of the year reflecting on the days gone by. I will spend a good deal of time on Friday, January 2nd when I will deliberately say goodbye to my family for a night and say hello to myself. I’ll spend the evening and following day in silence as I plan, create, and vision what I’d like to unfold for 2015. To get started, though, I automatically reflect on the biggest moments of impact for this year.
Once I’ve done that, then I sit in silence and reflect on what really mattered most over the past year. The 4 big moments are a piece of it for sure, but there are so many more moments that are incredibly significant.
The following are 5 moments during the past year that are selected simply by me thinking about what I recall the quickest from the last year.
In the order that they happened, here are my top 5 Biggest Moments of 2014 . . .
1) On January 3rd my heart cracked open. I had no idea that I could fall in love so quickly and yet I did. I never understood how some people could get so attached to their dogs. Now I do. On the 3rd my heart was opened to a furry baby weighing less than two pounds and I’ve been in love ever since. Mario, aka Little Man, has stolen my heart. He’s also stolen some of the bed and many kisses and time from my honey. He’s doubled in weight, coming in at about four pounds, and more than doubled my heart space. One of the biggest moments was the day he walked into our home. See more here.
2) I sat in my office wrapping up a few things before I headed for bowling. From the kitchen, my fella let me know he was going to check the mail. When he walked back in the door he said he had something for me and I told him I needed just a minute. Without hesitation he walked into the office and dropped the April issue of Savvy magazine on my desk. On March 20th at about 5:45pm I saw for the first time my picture on the cover of a magazine. Holy smokes! That was such a surreal moment and one I’m so grateful for! Learn about how it happened – read the story here.
3) Dreams really do come true and I’m living proof! After nearly two years of thinking, planning, traveling, writing, re-writing, and focusing on my book, I stood in front of a group of more than 50 people as a published author. On Thursday, November 24th (ironically exactly 6 months after the accident) more than 50 people gathered in a space for my book launch. It was an incredible experience and one that I will forever remember. There was so much time put into planning and as people walked through the door, my heart swelled to see all of the beautiful faces in front of me! It was two of the most exhilarating hours of my life. I am so grateful. Read more here.
4) Upon returning home from spending a month (Oct 2013) in Bali to write the first draft of my book, I immediately looked into Kundalini Yoga. We talked about it quite a bit and I knew I had to check it out. Upon looking at it locally, I was intrigued and excited to give it a try. At the beginning of the year, I began searching further and found that a local organization, Kundalini Collective, which is led by my now friend and mentor, Nirmal, would be hosting a Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training certification program starting in September. Before I had even taken my first class, I signed up to get certified. On Friday, September 12th, nine months after registering, I walked into the brightly sun-lit room with eager anticipation. I am humbled and grateful to be halfway through my certification and excited to add leading classes as part of my offerings in the next year. I hope you’ll join me on this journey!! (If you’re connected to a yoga studio or another space that would be willing to allow me to host a class, I can begin leading classes immediately. My classes will be offered at reduced rates as I begin this journey. Please let me know if you have any interest or connections.)
After contemplating my 4 big moments, I sat back knowing so many amazing things were left out. The following is a condensed version of the everyday seemingly small moments that add up to what really matters most . . .
- a smile on my daughter’s face when she came home to share she was hired for her first job
- the way my fella puts his hand on the small of my back
- countless walks and conversations with my friend as we plan a way to collaborate and support women together
- being a part of the festival programs across the state – as an emcee, judge or speaker
- caring for an almost one year old for an afternoon and evening – remembering how much I love little kids
- connecting with young women after an event and seeing the light bulb go on
- sharing in conversation with my mom as our relationship continues to grow and blossom
- hearing my daughter tell stories about work and how much she loves being there
- walking into a kundalini yoga studio knowing “I’m home”
- coming home to countless licks and kisses by Little Man and always having my daughter and fella in the wings ready for a hug too
- emceeing for my closest friends as they host their 5 year anniversary party – celebrating with them was such a treat
- being selected to speak at many events across the state – knowing they could have picked someone else and they chose me
- connecting with my breath while moving through a pose I couldn’t do a week before
- spending spring break with my dad in Florida and taking a motorcycle ride to the most real conversation we’ve ever had
- personalizing each and every copy of my book that is directly ordered from me – gratitude
- receiving special paintings from my daughter that depict two of my favorite songs
- seeing the eyes of my fella knowing he is proud that I am his girl
- exploring new ways to bake in the kitchen that support my journey AND taste good – it is possible!
- listening to my girl giggle when she hears her uncle laugh
- holding ‘baby pose’ for just a moment longer when my hips release
- having an instant connection with a new friend
- seeing girls and young women I’ve spoken to and excited to connect and hug again
- sharing 3-day weekends with all of my new teacher trainer friends – I’m so grateful for this family
- remembering that happiness is always a choice and it starts with gratitude
As we wrap up 2014 it is clear that there will be big events that seem to mark the year in some magical way. It is also clear that as we dive deeper there are many more experiences that weave through our everyday life that when strung together have an even bigger impact.
What I’ve noticed is the common thread throughout my experiences that feel the best are two things – I am honoring the truth of who I am AND I am surrounded by people I love. I am surrounded by you. Thank you for being on this journey!
I’m excited to see what is in store for 2015! I hope you are too.
How will you celebrate? How will you reflect? What moments stand out the most to you?
As always, I look forward to hearing from you and connecting. May you be blessed this day and know that you matter and your voice counts.
Make a Difference . . . Lead with Love